23 February 2014

A Gallery Opening



I can only imagine that, in a "real world" setting, getting a gallery space set up with the work of so many artists would not go as smoothly as it did for our Digital Processes class.  From what I've heard, organizing even one artist's work to his liking can take days, so I am very impressed that we got a gallery space up and running in a number of hours.

I did my part by typing up labels and delicately slicing them up with a crooked paper cutter.  The slicing went as expected, but typing up labels in the first place was surprisingly difficult (not that anyone had particularly messy handwriting, but switching from reading one style to the next was sort of taxing on my brain).  If anything, I think my small struggle demonstrates that people are always the hardest part of organizing something (for me, at the least).

I happily prepared deviled eggs for the gallery opening (thanks for the wonderful complements, everyone!).  FYI, nutmeg is hard to sprinkle onto eggs during a power outage.  :]

Long story short, I love the intimate little white cube in which we displayed our work and the way it encouraged people to interact freely with the books and the art.  Inkjet prints look pretty spiffy in black frames, and I'm glad we could coordinate fonts throughout the show.

I think that's all I have to say about that.  Feel free to ask me questions if I missed anything.

This is one of the photos from my series "Chosen Fibers," which is currently in the gallery space.

3 comments:

  1. Jo,

    I also really appreciated the intimacy of the Mudd Gallery. While some other galleries I have been to have been large spaces with multiple rooms, the "little white cube" definitely encouraged interaction which I enjoyed. I also liked how all of our very diverse photos looked side by side in one very small room. The photos really complemented each other well and gave the viewer a good sense of the project and the messages that were being portrayed. I think this intimacy enhanced the overall experience for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it must be a lot more challenging for "real world" artists to set up a gallery space. For one thing, there wasn't a whole lot of decision making or experimentation we could do with the small space. We wanted the work to be at eye-level, we couldn't decide factors like lighting or frames used and we needed the selected work of the whole class to be on the walls. I also agree that the Mudd Gallery is a nice intimate space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you described it as an "intimate little white cube." I got the same feeling from it and was very happy, like you, to have been able to pull off the preparation and everything so "smoothly." I thought it would be a little more complicated than it was, but everyone pretty much stuck around and did there part. I also agree with how inkjet look pretty good in black frames; I wash;t sure what they'd look like because to me they were just printed pictures on shiny paper. But in a frame they look way more professional.

    ReplyDelete