16 March 2014

A Video Experience


"The New Twitch" is a video experience portraying our minds in a digital process, as our environment becomes a new graphic interface.

What would our environment look like if our minds adopted some of the context of an interface?  It would become quick, dizzy, unearthly and without context, like San Brakhage's "Dog Star Man," but with much more of a modern, computer-like twitch.

Image from http://deeperintomovies.net/journal

The introduction to "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" makes reference to film art like Brakhage's, and in a way updates it by employing the style in a new context such as this popular movie.

Image from http://cdn3.artofthetitle.com/

In my own art career, I find myself itching to update old trends, whether that means responding to Meret Oppenheim's "Object" a century later or updating Marie Menken's "A Glimpse from the Garden" using new media.


Image from moma.org

My "Fuzzy Cups" teaset, a response to Meret Oppenheim's "Object"

"The New Twitch" is my update to Marie Menken's film "A Glimpse of the Garden" in which the filmmaker attempts to imitate an insect's experience of flying through a garden using a camera suspended from a fishing pole.


Image from http://anthologyfilmarchives.org/
Menken's film gives the impression of a human thinking and trying to move like an insect, rather than an authentic insect's experience, and I get an impression that she sacrificed some authentic movement for watchability.  When Menken produced "A Glimpse of the Garden," the use of film to impersonate movement was cutting-edge.  However, in this Digital Age, a computer-user's thought is so much closer to an insect's that Menken's film seems sadly out-of-date.

In effect, with "The New Twitch," I aim to make no sacrifices for watchability, and in fact do not expect the video's viewers to be able to "stay tuned" for the whole length of the experience.  My goal is to make a statement about new media, using new media, in response to Marshall McLuhan's sentiment that "All media work us over completely."

"The New Twitch" is a metaphorical walk through the garden with our new insect minds.



The soundtrack for "The New Twitch" is the original work "Wobble Games" by Evan Conway.

2 comments:

  1. I read your blog post before seeing your video and presentation. Based off of you defining "The New Twitch" as a video experience portraying our minds in a digital process, I expected the video to be much more mechanical. I expected to see elements of technology, and things of a digital nature as opposed to nature itself. But now I understand that what you mean by a "digital process" is the way our minds work; perhaps I took it too literally. Either way, I thought you had an interesting perspective on the working of our mind. The back and forth, "twitching" of the video made clear that you we are watching from our mind's perspective. However, I would have liked to see more than just twitching. Maybe some interpretation of HOW our mind processes the information that we receive and look at. The twitching seemed more to me as how our mind sees things, but not how it actually processes that. Overall, though, I thought it was an interesting concept and it did totally envelop my senses and I sort of got lost watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your video, "the new twitch". I think it captured how are minds have been trained to process things quickly as a result of the overstimulation we are exposed to through technology. In the way that we perceive things around us, we are a "digital process". For me personally, I found it surprising at how able I was to pay attention to the video despite the constant switching of frames. I think that definitely says something about how we have learned how to think as a result of technology and media.

    ReplyDelete