06 January 2014

An Artist




I am Jo.
I am not an artist by choice.
I am an artist.

I am navigationally challenged, and my world is therefore very large.  I have been lost before, five miles away from my own house, as though I were in a different neighborhood every time I turned a corner.

This big world of mine is what I tend to reflect on in my art, as well as an affinity for all things organized and clear (though not necessarily simple).

Grayscale is my friend, and color is my acquaintance.

I once spent a week worrying because I had to draw a cookie that looked like a real cookie (in color).  I procrastinated and fretted over it.  It took me less than an hour to make it when I finally made it, and it looked like a cookie.  I was proud.  And confused.  Why was it so hard to finally draw it?  Because I’m stubborn.  Because I’m a perfectionist.  Because drawing a cookie is very intimidating?  Mostly, because I’m an artist.  Fretting is what I do.

I even fret over my webcomic as I would over my art.  Every Monday I release a new comic, and it is a personal triumph.

I don’t need inspiration.  My world is very big.

I need motivation.  People.  Friends.  Organization.

When it’s simple, and I know what to do, and my friends will see it, my art becomes possible.  Maybe my webcomic is art!  I don’t know.  It’s okay not to know.

I am not an artist by choice.
I am an artist.



No comments:

Post a Comment